HISTORY OF FOOTHILLS UNITED CHURCH
Almost from the time of the first settlement in Bowness, the United Church has held services here.
The original church building (now known as Robinson Hall) was dedicated on November 3, 1946. As the Official Board and congregation reviewed the needs of the church in the waning months of 1955, they found the existing building bursting at the seams due to the tremendous growth of the community after World War II. A new addition, Lawrie Hall (named after Mr. & Mrs. Robert Lawrie who dedicated the land) was built and became our sanctuary. The original building continues to be used as a meeting area and the location for the church library.
In April 1970 Bowness United and Montgomery United were amalgamated and brought together the rich traditions of their respective communities to form Foothills United Church.
Another chapter in our history was written in the spring of 1999. In April, a major expansion and renovation was undertaken, adding new office spaces, enlarged sanctuary with balcony space, modernized kitchen and bathrooms and an added upstairs meeting room (Wopnford Hall) currently used as our clothing boutique.
On September 26, 1999, our refurbished building was consecrated and dedicated to the glory of God. Grateful for the legacy our ancestors in faith left us.